image source: constructionownerslawblog.com

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Giving Women a Bad Name

Since I have been unemployed, I have indulged in the guilty pleasure of watching the Nate Berkus show.  In my defense, I like interior design and as an unemployed bum, it is sort of my duty to keep up on the junk TV on at any given time.  So that, you know, just in case Joel McHale calls from the Soup to ask my opinion.
On today's show I saw something that made me really irritated.  Nate usually has guests on who have a design dillema, and he helps them solve their design issues.  Cool.  Today though, the top story was a couple who had a "bad" wedding, particularily the first dance.   Now I realize I am in the minority here, but I get so irritated with women who put so much stock in a damn wedding that it literally makes or breaks their whole entire life.  It is one fucking day in a lifetime that you will spend with someone you are in love with.  But there are so many women who are so hung up on their image on that one day, that their head isn't even on straight.  The reason this story irritated me more than most sappy, stupid wedding stories, is because the husband was horribly ill the day of his wedding.  No, not hungover, he had a respiratory flu.  Difficulty breathing, profuse clammy sweating, hard to stand upright.  This lady (the wife) was on the show whining about how she had always loved dancing and how it had been her dream to have the most romantic first dance with her husband.  During their dance, the husband had to keep leaning on her because it was all he could do to stand up.  She kept telling him to just stand up straight for ten minutes, "they're taking pictures."  It has been 3 years since their wedding and this lady is still whining, and resorted to go on a national television show to try and get sympathy.  What did the producers do?  They set them up with dancing lessons from one of the instructor couples from Dancing With The Stars.  The husband is a big construction worker dude, but out of what I am assuming is inmeasurable love for his wife, he does his best, and they dance the tango on TV.  The wife claims to be happy now.  How completely absurd!  It irritates me because one selfish, drama queen makes us all look bad.  If the man you are about to agree to spend your life in love with is on his death bed, and you are still going to make him go through with a wedding, try not to be so selfish and cut him a break.  No one is thinking about your stupid first dance at your wedding execpt you, and in this case, they are probably remembering how small of a person you are to make your husband feel guilty for not being romantic when he is about to pass out.  Sheesh, talk about giving women a bad name! 

No comments:

Post a Comment