image source: constructionownerslawblog.com

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lucky Me

I consider myself pretty lucky where jobs are concerned.  Other than that 7-month stretch where I was unemployed, I have had a pretty sweet job situation for most of my life.  There was a string of fast-food jobs wherein my friends could stop by and say hi and tease me about whatever ridiculous uniform I was rocking.  Then there was the convenience store, which was more like a dating circuit.  Honestly, I never got asked out or dated/flirted more than when I worked there.  The uniform was markedly improved.  Then I got into the optical field, and learned the wonderful world of eyeglasses from some awesome people whom I formed long-term relationships with.
When I worked in Vegas, I ended up with a national company that was going through many transitions.  For a ten month stretch, the office I worked at was operating without an optometrist, which meant I was on duty souly to keep the doors open in case anyone wandered in while looking for the thrift or car repair shops that neighbored our store.  I was a licensed optician, making $25/hour, and my days consisted of doing crossword puzzles, watching Ellen, sometimes a light workout, and writing letters back home.  I was an over-priced cockroach sitter.  I would sometimes watch drug deals going down in the parking lot out side, and on occassion would have to rid my store of junkies looking to lift something from me to support their habit.  But most of the time, I got to spend on self-reflection and self indulgence.  Sometimes I think about those days and how, it was boring and lonely, but really low-stress.
The place I worked before this was constantly busy, I was constantly being micro-managed, but again, I made some great friends and we had some awesome laughs at work.
Now I'm in a pretty prestigeous health clinic, in a department (optical) that gets lost in the mix of more important doctors offices.  It is pretty slow most days, and since I'm usually the only optician on staff, I hide out in my little office, blog, read old journals, play games on my iPhone...I know I should be doing something more productive, and I will probably get busted one of these days, but I will say this, my job is quite enjoyable!  I have a few interruptions from the doctors' staff or from patients asking for quotes, and some days are so busy I work straight through my lunch, but for the most part, I admit I've got a really cush job here.  I know when I move on to the next city or the next job, I will look back on these times and smile about how good I've had it.
Well, time to get back to work!
Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment