image source: constructionownerslawblog.com

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Bad Date

Though my commute to work is short, I always enjoy listening to the local radio station in the morning.  The morning DJ's banter is inviting to me, and usually starts my day off with a welcomed chuckle.  This morning they were talking about bad dates, and how everyone has one.  For a minute I thought about it.  How could I compare the dozens of bad dates I've had in my time, and come out with the worst?
Then I remembered Hairy.  That's not really his name, but I honestly can't remember what it was, and it's a fitting nickname if nothing else.  I met him when I was a clerk at a convenience store.  Putting myself through college, working and partying and just being a 20-something kid.  Hairy was a customer of mine.  I was definitely not attracted to him, as he looked a little like a less-attractive version of Danny Devito, but with lots of Fozzy Bear, curly black hair, and a blanket of thick chest, back and shoulder hair to match. (huh, shudders!)   He considered himself quite amusing, but I can't remember ever agreeing.  At one point, he asked me out, and despite me already knowing it wasn't going to go anywhere, for some reason I agreed to dinner.  He took me to a cheap but popular Mexican restaurant, and quickly showed his lack of temper when we had to wait fifteen minutes to be seated.  Once in our booth, he made a comment to our waitor that we had been waiting so long that we should get a discount on our bill.  I was humiliated and tried to make it abundantly clear that he didn't speak for both of us.  "Everyone else had to wait, too.  The food must be awesome here!"  He wouldn't let it go, and was a jerk to the waitor the entire time.  In the end, we got his precious discount on the meal, which he paid for, and we went back to his place to watch some college football. I have never been a fan, and was only mildly interested in pro football, which spawned a "you people" argument.   I was already desperately wanting to end the date as I was so turned off by him.  He was ten years older than me (mid-to-late thirties) and as it turns out, still lived with his parents and drove their vehicle.  He had a beer belly and loved college football so much that I sank into the couch next to him and daydreamed about someone else for about a half hour before he spoke to me or looked in my direction.  Then, he leaned back and tried the old stretch-and-put-the-arm-around-her-shoulder move, and I stood up, thouroughly disgusted and told him that I was not interested, that our personalities do not mesh, that he's too old and I was not attracted to him and that I was certain it would be a waste of our time to spend any more time together.  He reduced me to one of those girls who just accepts a date in order to get "wined and dined" and that why did I waste his money if I wasn't interested?  I laid fifteen dollars on his stained coffee table, which covered the entire cost of dinner, drinks and tip with that discount we got.  As I exited his parent's house, he screamed obscenities at me and I sped away cussing under my breath.  Why didn't I go with my gut instinct on this one?  Shudder.
The worst part about it?  He continued to patronize my convenience store, and acted all sweet and innocent like nothing ever happened.  What a whack job!
I'd love to hear about others' bad dates.  Drop a comment if you dare!  I know I'm not the only one!

2 comments:

  1. What...?!?!? *Don't remember, you EVER mentioning...THAT one! (NO 'wonder.') :/ That's what you get, for being too NICE! He got a discount, alright; he was SO desperate, NOT to pay...he got you to pay for HIS!?! (No wonder...he was 'nice', after that!)
    *Well, you were with me...on one of mine. *Remember, "Body?!?!" THAT, was a night...I'd rather "forget..." I recall, the sunset...being the best/most memorable part. *I "MISS," that hill! :/ And...I miss "our" fountain, TOO!! :/ Some things, will never be the SAME. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was a crazy night with Max and Body! I remember the bowling being OK, because, when is bowling not ok? But yeah, that night I'd like to forget. Honestly, how did we ever think overalls were sexy just because they only had one strap fastened? I miss East Hill too, but even then we always got kicked off. Come to think of it, we got kicked out of a lot of places! We were such fierce rebels! ;)

      Delete